Offsite show (SWAP)

We wanted our exhibition to be a collaboration of work instead of just plonking our work in a room together. The idea was to swap either materials or processes with each other in the group and create a new piece of work based on this. After a discussion we agreed that the best way to do this would be to pair up with one other person in the group and swap between the two of us. The pairings were as follows; me and George, Charlotte and Freya, Meryl and Nicole.

Designed by Charlotte Grocutt

The build up to the exhibition was centred around the conversations we were having rather than producing masses of work. Myself and George quickly discovered that whilst our outcomes may look fairly different our process and way of working were pretty much the same. Since we both make work in the space it will be shown, instead of before hand, we came up with the idea to make each other ‘kits’ of materials and objects we would typically use to create work then swap them on the day of installation. This method seemed like a good idea to begin with but we were worried that it would look like we were both trying to imitate the other person which is not what we wanted. Finally we found two racking two shelves that we both felt we could work with and would tie our work together nicely without it being too forced.

The two racks (after the exhibition)

I decided that I wanted to combine both my work with food and the imagery of the ‘egg’, so I bought 45 eggs to place on and around the rack once I had put it on the wall. Although I had planned to have a couple of eggs smashed on the floor, I managed to accidentally drop one when placing the eggs on the rack so just dropped two more and left it before they all fell off. I was happy with the overall effect and liked the simplicity and precariousness of the set up.

Eggz

During the private view there was (understandably) a few of accidents…

Eggz (after private view)

George installed his rack flat against the wall with moss compressed inside it. he also had a rectangle of moss compressed underneath a panel of glass with another panel leaning against the rack tying the two components together. I was pleased that you could obviously see a link between our work but they were also identifiable as two different peoples’ work.

George Quenby; moss, glass and racking